Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Planting the herb garden!


The next day or so which was about Febuary 28th of 2009 I planted my garden.

Here is a picture of all my supplies I used to creat my garden.




The first thing that I had to do was to create two drainage holes at the bottum of all my pots. To do that I took a hammer and about an 2 inch screw. I placed my pots on the plastic drainage tray so all the mess would stay in one place, nd it's easy clean up!




Once I have created Before I started I took all my eight pots and made 2 draining holes in the bottum of them. I cleanded my tray of by dumping evrything into thetrashcan and whipeing my tray off with an old dry rag.



After that I placed all my pots on my tray, and filled my pots with stones at the bottum. You place the stones in the bottum of your pot so if you over water your plants the extra water will drip down to the stones , and out the drainage hole. That way your plant isn't sitting in water all the time, which could cause molding and death :-(





Once the sontes were in placed I took the pea pot, which is biodegradable, and the plant will feed of the pea pot. The I dumped one and a half cup into the pots then i took the remainding pots I filled them with sand, and placed them into the pot. Now there are some problems that can happen one if you have to many stones your pots your pea pot will be above the rim of the pot. That was the main problem I had this problem with two to three pots.





When the pots are filled with sand its ready to plant your seeds! Most seed packages said about 1/2 to 1/4 inch deep to plant your seed. So I tryed my best to follow the directions made a small hole in the pot in the pea pot, that way the roots can feed of the pea pot which is inside of the pot. Then cover the hole back with sand.






When you planned the seeds I sprayed my plants so the soil is about moist. Use a spray bottle to water your gardening. Once you have waterd your plants, place see through like glad ware foil over your pots, you can secure the plastic foil with a rubber pant; see picture below. The reason why you want to use is because; that way the light can directly go to the plant, and its a lot easier to see if your plant finally peeked out of the soil. You want to keep the plastic on untill the seed/plant have finally come through the soil, to peak out into the real world. Once your seeds has peaked out go ahea take the plastic off but make sure you water it with a spray bottle, and that it still gets enough light.











Thats it thats how I planted my garden :-)




Seeds I planted in my pots were;

- Rosemary


- Green Beans (not a herb)


- Basil


- Garlic

- Pasley

- Peppers ( not a herb)

- Chives












1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures!!! I love the plastic wrap for the greenhouse effect. I can't wait to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete