Monday, March 9, 2009

My Pellet Greenhouse!!


When me and Abbey went to Meijer to buy our seeds we saw this little ready to go green house. There were two choices cucumber, or tomato.

The other day I decided to go back to Meijer and get one of those, I decided to purchase the tomato and purchase a package of cucumber seeds. The pellet greenhouse came with 12 pellets, and a package of tomato seeds, all for $3.99!!!

When I was looking at other pellet greenhouses I also saw a "salsa garden" Which came with 3 pots I believed and all the seeds to make salsa with; chives, tomato, onion, and so on, you only had to buy some additional pots for the other seeds and they were selling that for $6.99


The brand I purchased was "Gardeners" "Giant Tomato Garden." That brand is pretty much the same thing as the other brands for example; "Quick'n Easy"

Once I got home; I read the directions it told me to add about 500 ml of warm water to the pellets so they would absorb the water and become a big "wide tube" of dirt, and any additional water you dumped out of the tray, were your pellets were placed.







This is what the pellet looks before you add water









And this is what the pellet looks when you added the water



Once you have added the water you add two seeds from your package. One row of six pellets I planted my tomato seeds, and the other remaining six pellets I planted my cucumber seed
Me planting my seed







And there it is in the middle of the pellet



Also after a couple of weeks 2-4 (box instructions) you must kill/take out the weaker seed/plant so the strong one can grow on and produce some veggies!! The box directions also said when the roots of the seed/plant started to grown through the pellet than its time to move the whole pellet into a pot, or into your garden.


You don't "ever" have to water your pellets because once you added the 500 ml of water all that water is absorbed by the pellets, therefore you don't have to water your pellets.



So now all you have to do is place your pellet greenhouse in a place that has sunlight or a place were you can place a lamp over it, just make sure its not to warm other wise the water will absorb way to fast.


And now you wait for about 8 to 10 days to see your cucumber, or tomato sprout (I hope that's the correct term)




And it really is as easy as 1-2-3

1 comment:

  1. I will be interested to see how this works out. I have seen these before, but they always seem kind of weird. If they really work they look like they could be easier and less messy and more cost effective then a bag of dirt!

    ReplyDelete